The thing about the Met Gala, also known as Fashion’s Biggest Night, is that not only is it one of the most photographed events on the planet, but there’s also a theme to it. And theme parties, as we all know, bring particular stress when deciding what to wear (are you doing it all, playing it safe, or falling somewhere in the middle?). Add in hundreds of photographers and a red carpet filled with A-list celebrities and the crème de la crème of the fashion world and, well, you get the picture.
But Thomas Doherty, Gossip Girl star and new Dior Beauty ambassador, did not feel stressed as he prepared for the gala at the Pierre Hotel in New York, even though it was his first appearance. “I told my parents that I had been invited to the Met and they said: Oh that’s amazing. What is the Met?” he laughs. “But I’m excited. It’s a really cool opportunity to be around artists from all genres of the creative spectrum, it’s going to be sick!
This year’s Gilded Glamor theme – a reference to the Golden Age and a connection to the “In America: An Anthology of Fashion” exhibition – may seem like a difficult era to interpret, but not for Doherty. “I think the aesthetic of that era, for menswear, is beautiful,” he says. “The sewing was so beautiful. Honestly, I wish we always dressed like this. It also doesn’t hurt that her custom look by Dior Men’s Creative Director Kim Jones recalls all the best things of the era, from the cropped jacket and ascot to her classic grooming look. and elegant. “I feel like a million dollars, like Prince Charming,” Doherty says.
So how did it all come together? Here’s a behind-the-scenes look.
“Working with Kim is such an honor and it was pretty collaborative. We had a lot of fabric swatches and I got to pick out different materials and colors, and he put it all together. The man is a genius. was a kindness for him to even give me an opinion.
“I use the Dior Sauvage Face & Beard Moisturizer every day after shaving. It’s not too thick or heavy on your skin. I’m someone who can tend to break out if the moisturizer is too thick, but light, but still very hydrating.
The inspiration for Doherty’s Gilded Age grooming look was Jack of Titanicespecially “when he attends the first class dinner on the ship,” says the groomer Megane Lanoux. “He looked so sophisticated and groomed and his hair was slicked back and clean.”
“The look is very classic, but it has those Dior touches,” says Doherty. “The cut of everything is so nice and so clean, but we also have little touches of something a little more modern with the jewelry. I think it’s very on theme.
“Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would work so closely with Dior on something like this. It was such an honor. I definitely get a Prince Charming vibe.
have the look
Want to get the classic Doherty look? Here’s How to Look This “Dapper, Sleek and Groomed” Straight from Your Groomer Megane Lanoux.
- Cleanse your skin with Dior La Mousse Foaming Cleanser OFF/ON. “It doesn’t strip your skin like other cleansers and leaves it hydrated and gives your skin some plumpness.”
- follow with Dior Sauvage Face & Beard Moisturizer to hydrate the skin without leaving it oily. “A lot of moisturizers leave your skin with a bit of a glow, but it’s not ideal for the red carpet because you don’t want it to look greasy. This moisturizer just makes you look hydrate.
- Utilize Dior Backstage Face & Body Flash Perfector Concealer under and around your eyes, then blend it towards your jawline and hairline with a sponge. “Most of the coverage will stay around your eyes where you need it, but you won’t look like you’re wearing makeup.”
- Treat stains with Dior Backstage face and body foundation. “Use it to cover blemishes or anything red or dark like broken hair. Use a sponge or brush to blend it over the areas you want to cover, but not all over your face.
- Finish with a hit Dior Backstage Face & Body Powder-No-Powder. “This powder slightly mattifies but feels like a second skin. It won’t get cakey or heavy or make you look flat.
- Smack your lips with Rouge Dior Lip Balm #000 Natural. “It’s very matte but very hydrating, so it just enhances your lips and makes them look very natural.”
- If needed, fill in dappled brows with Diorshow Brow Styler. “It’s a very thin pencil, so you can create a hairline effect rather than overfilling an eyebrow. It looks more natural.”
- For a modern take on the classic slicked back look, make sure your sides are clean and tight. Next, “add volume on top rather than just smoothing it out.” Spray Kevin Murphy Anti-Gravity Spray on damp hair, use a round brush and hair dryer to create volume on top.
- Use some Oribe Fiber Groom Elastic Texture Paste to smooth the sides as tight as possible. Then use a little more on top to smooth it out and lock it in place.
- Finally, hit your hair with a double swipe. “I used Oribe Airbrush Root Touchup Spray in Dark Brown so that everything has the same dark brown color, then Balmain Hair Couture Session Spray on the sides to lock everything in place.
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and uploaded to this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on piano.io